Newcastle Through the Ages
Moulded to a depth of about 5cm, two relief panels containing a wealth of local historical detail, set into the shopping complex wall. The left panel contains the following inscriptions and images: 'MONKCHESTER' with Roman head and Newcastle coat of arms. Roman ship and golden coin. 'COLLIER BRIG 1704-1880' with ship. 'OCEANUS' with anchor and seahorse with trident.
The right panel contains the following inscriptions and images: 'JUPITER FORTUNA' with two figures. 'ENGINEERING'; 'DAVY AND STEPHENSON'; 'COAL MINING SHIP BUILDING' with images of same. 'G & R STEPHENSON'; 'ARMSTRONG WHITWORTH'; 'ROCKET 1829' with image of first steam engine. 'ARMSTRONG 12 POUNDER RA' with image of gun. '1878 J.SWAN'. 'PONS AELIUS' with bridges depicted below. 'TURBINIA' and image of ship. Various churches with names carved about including 'GRAINGER DOBSON 1865'; '1838 GREEN STOKOE'; 'BEWICK' with a swan; a figure and 'BRIGANTIA'. Final section on far right has 'GEORDIE' over two figures, then 'THE KEEL ROW' with a loading boat at the bottom.
Although this is a well-known work, there is virtually no record of its commissioning or subsequent history and it has proved impossible to trace the artists. The building was originally developed by C&A and it is thought that funding for the reliefs might have been provided by the store or Northern Arts. Although the building is now occupied by BHS, C&A estates still own the site.
PMSA recording information
Sorry, we have no precise geographical information for this item.